Any link may be advertising for which I may get a commission if you buy, at no additional charge to you. See my Disclaimer.
So you want to get travel and road trip news? Or other news from The Driveby Tourist? And you’ve come to the right place; this is The Driveby Tourist News & Information page. I’ve created it because I have better control of the format and sequence of the news, information, and miscellaneous posts I publish. There may be links from here that also have links from other pages. And this informational page will grow and change over time.
- General News & Information
- Future Planned Posts
- Memorial to my brothers – both passed in 2020
- The economy impacts Road Trips (link to information)
- Off Hiatus Start (First post after taking a two-month break)
- Nostalgic High School Reunion
- People I’ve met on the road
- Patreon Premium subscriber benefits
- Stan’s visits to all US states (currently incomplete) (There are links to this one, Look at your own risk!!)
- Minnesota weather (See below)
- Travel advice
- Minnesota road trips and posts
- Other “stuff” for the informational page!
Route 66 Bucketlist discussion
In January 2022, I found a podcast called the “Bucket List crosser.offer.” He interviewed me, and here’s the interview! It’s Episode 2 of Season 2, posted on 02/04/2022. And here’s a link to his website.
He’s recorded some exciting podcasts about various types of “bucket list” items.
While the website, Thrillist.com, ranks Minnesota as having the worst winters of all 50 states, we have great summers! And for many of us hardy Minnesotans, winter is the best month. Snowmobiling, ice fishing, cross country skiing, skating, outdoor hockey, winter carnivals, and I could go on and on. But, for the informational page, to enhance the stereotype, here are some extreme records:
- The lowest temperature ever recorded: -60 F (-51 C), February 2, 1996 – Tower MN.
- Largest Single Day change: 71 F (39 C), April 3, 1982, Lamberton MN
- International Falls (on the border with Canada) once had 18 days ending on December 31, 1924, when the high temperature for the day did not exceed 0 F.
- Earliest recorded snowfall, August 31, 1949, in Duluth MN
- Latest recorded snowfall, June 4, 1935, in Mizpah MN
- The coldest high temperature for the day, -29F, January 6, 1909, International Falls MN
This page is meant to be The Driveby Tourist News & Information page, but we can’t talk about Minnesota without mentioning the weather!
Classic Rock Recollection
“One of the Boys” by Huey Lewis and The News from the album “Weather”!
Well, it’s plain to see, I got my wish
And I’ve been lucky ever since then
And one day, I’m meeting my maker
I don’t know where or when
But I still love the gypsy life
Yeah, I’m still havin’ fun
And though I ain’t gettin’ any younger, I’m a
Long way from done
Writer(s): Huey Lewis, Christopher John Hayes, John Victor Colla
(And who else should it be on the news and information page!)